Netiquette · Download · News · Gallery · Homepage · DSSR Manual · G-quadruplexes · DSSR-Jmol · DSSR-PyMOL · DSSR Licensing · Video Overview· RNA Covers

Author Topic: a little note about DSSR installation  (Read 9025 times)

Offline febos

• with-posts
    • View Profile
a little note about DSSR installation
« on: November 16, 2013, 01:37:15 am »
Good Afternoon Dr. Xiang-Jun Lu.

Thanks for your new program. Before it i was using find_pair in my RNA research, but DSSR seems quite better for me.

I want to tell You about a little problem with installation:

I have Windows 7 (x86) and when I downloaded x3dna-dssr and tried to run it i have got an error message. I don't remember the full text but it was about missing Cygwin1.dll. So i just copied this dll from my x3dna folder to folder with x3dna-dssr and it worked fine. So my message is not a bug report, but I just want to attract Your attention since You claim that DSSR is self-contained, that's all. Sorry if I missed an explanation of this problem, but I've read all relating DSSR posts at this forum.

Best regards,
Eugene.

Offline xiangjun

• Administrator
  • with-posts
    • View Profile
    • 3DNA homepage
Re: a little note about DSSR installation
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 08:40:52 am »
Hi Eugene,

Thanks for using DSSR and reporting back your findings on running the Cygwin version under native Windows environment. Did you install Cygwin and run the DSSR Cygwin version in that environment? Does DSSR run as expected there?

If you want to run DSSR directly under native Windows, the DSSR MinGW version is the way to go. See my post titled "DSSR works perfectly under DOS (in native Windows)". Please have a try, and report back how it goes.

DSSR is meant to be minimalistic, self-contained, without reliance on third-party libraries. Users just need to install the right version. I am interested in seeing counterexamples, and would take proper actions to ensure that DSSR is indeed self-contained.

HTH,

Xiang-Jun
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 05:04:14 pm by xiangjun »

Offline febos

• with-posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 01:31:25 am »
Good Afternoon Dr. Xiang-Jun Lu.

As I wrote before: I didn't install Cygwin, but just copied Cygwin1.dll from X3DNA folder to folder with x3dna-dssr file and then DSSR started working properly.

Thanks for Your advice on MinGW version, I'll have a try there.

Offline xiangjun

• Administrator
  • with-posts
    • View Profile
    • 3DNA homepage
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 08:49:55 am »
Hi,

Thanks for your follow up. Your method means another way to run DSSR on native Windows, i.e. with a copy of Cygwin1.dll and the Cygwin complied version of DSSR. I think (untested) that you could also put DSSR under the $X3DNA/bin directory, so you do not need to copy Cygwin1.dll around. As long as you can run other 3DNA commands, DSSR also should work just fine.

Best regards,

Xiang-Jun
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:53:17 am by xiangjun »

Created and maintained by Dr. Xiang-Jun Lu [律祥俊] (xiangjun@x3dna.org)
The Bussemaker Laboratory at the Department of Biological Sciences, Columbia University.