Netiquette · Download · News · Gallery · Homepage · DSSR Manual · G-quadruplexes · DSSR-Jmol · DSSR-PyMOL · DSSR Licensing · Video Overview· RNA Covers

Author Topic: How to download 3DNA v2.0?  (Read 37052 times)

Offline admin

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • with-posts
    • View Profile
How to download 3DNA v2.0?
« on: March 16, 2009, 08:25:31 pm »
This post is by far the most viewed. It has served its role and is now out of date. It contains information still of interest, and is kept here for record. Now download 3DNA is much easier for every one!

The latest 3DNA v2.0, with scripts and associated data files accompanying our Nature Protocols (NP) publication [vol.3, no.7 (2008), 1213-1227] (with the NP_Recipes directory content available without restrictions), is distributed in tarball files for the most commonly used operating systems that I have access to (see list below). Please check this thread for more background information and to understand why you should upgrade to 3DNA v2.0. You may also find it worthwhile to read my blog post on 3DNA vs. Curves+, a successor of the well-known Curves program.

Due to the licensing policy imposed by Rutgers, however, I cannot distribute 3DNA v2.0 as simply as for v1.5. So I have put the v2.0 tarballs in a password-protected directory and furnished Rutgers with access details. Please contact Dr. Wilma Olson (wilma.olson AT rutgers DOT edu) for instructions on license, registration and download of 3DNA v2.0. You may want to mention the 2008 3DNA NP paper regarding the availability of v2.0 for others to verify reported results. Please also CC your email request to 3dna.lu AT gmail DOT com (just for my record), and post any issues you experience in this forum.

• Linux (32 bit; Ubuntu 8.04) (should also work on other Intel-based Linux systems)
  • Intel-based Mac OS X (thanks to Ben Eisenbraun, Structural Biology Grid, Harvard Medical School)
  • Mac OS X (PowerPC)
  • Cygwin on Windows (see Cygwin homepage for details)
  • Native Windows binaries with MinGW (see MinGW homepage for details; you may also want to have MSYS installed)
  • SunOS 5.9
  • SGI IRIX64, compiled with gcc
  • SGI IRIX64, compiled with native cc (-n32 option, thanks to Tom Chapin at Rutgers University)

As always, I appreciate your comments, suggestions and bug reports on 3DNA (v2.0). Specifically, I would strive to get back to you (through the 3DNA forum), quickly and concretely, on every question regarding any technical details that led to the results reported in our 3DNA 2008 NP paper. In my opinion, the most effective way to learn what 3DNA has to offer is by repeating all the "recipes" and understanding how each one works thoroughly.

In the current context, it is well worth noting that being responsive is one of the core principles that I have always followed in support of 3DNA and maintaining the forum in my (limited) spare time, no matter what users' questions have been. It is my understanding from the very beginning that getting 3DNA (or any serious software product, for that matter) published is just the beginning. In the long run, it is the continuous refinements of the software, as driven by its user community, that make a real difference.

Thanks for your interest in 3DNA – I hope you enjoy using it!

Xiang-Jun Lu

PS: Composite image of the eight figures in the 2008 3DNA Nature Protocols paper:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:28:40 pm by xiangjun »
Xiang-Jun Lu [Administrator of the 3DNA Forum]
3DNA Forum: http://forum.x3dna.org/
3DNA Homepage: http://x3dna.org/
Personal Blog: http://xiang-jun.blogspot.com/

Created and maintained by Dr. Xiang-Jun Lu [律祥俊] (xiangjun@x3dna.org)
The Bussemaker Laboratory at the Department of Biological Sciences, Columbia University.