Netiquette · Download · News · Gallery · Homepage · DSSR Manual · G-quadruplexes · DSSR-Jmol · DSSR-PyMOL · DSSR Licensing · Video Overview· RNA Covers

Author Topic: 3DNA ppc64 GNU/linux architecture  (Read 6904 times)

Offline raist

• with-posts
    • View Profile
3DNA ppc64 GNU/linux architecture
« on: February 25, 2008, 02:46:27 am »
Hi Xiang-Jun and members of the forum,
I've been running 3DNA for some years now on local machines and I find it very useful, now I would like to do the analysis on a supercomputer facility with the following specifications:

Architecture : ppc64 GNU/Linux

Do you think it could be possible to obtain binaries for these specifications?
Thanks a lot,
Alberto

Offline xiangjun

• Administrator
  • with-posts
    • View Profile
    • 3DNA homepage
Re: 3DNA ppc64 GNU/linux architecture
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 10:04:41 pm »
Dear Alberto,

Thanks for using 3DNA and your kind words about it!

Sorry for not being able to get back to you sooner. Since I do not have direct access to such an OS/Architecture, I have tried to contact some of my friends, hoping to get a positive answer for you. However, I could not get it.

Over the past few years, I have received many requests for a compiled version of 3DNA on an OS (e.g., Intel-based Mac OS X) which I do not have a hand on. Since 3DNA is distributed only in binary form, to really solve this problem,  I would propose here that some of you offered me access to your system by setting me an account. Of course, this account would be used exclusively for compiling 3DNA so that you can benefit, and possibly others as well. Hopefully this would be a long term collaboration since I will mostly likely need to fix bugs and add more functionality for future release of 3DNA.

3DNA is widely used by the community, as evidenced by the citations it receives. Yet many of its applications, especially those for RNA structures, are still heavily underused. As much as I would like to maintain and develop it further, however, I can only work on it strictly in my spare time. Unfortunately, without additional support I will have only limited resources!

Xiang-Jun

Offline raist

• with-posts
    • View Profile
Re: 3DNA ppc64 GNU/linux architecture
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 04:32:07 am »
Dear Xiang-Jun,
I'm sorry for not replying earlier and more so that I don't have an account to offer you on these machines. If it were up to me you would already have an ccount as I have had your 1998 PNAS paper as reference for all my thesis and i've been using 3DNA to analyze, rebuild and do all kind of things to DNA.
Unfortunately, per policies of the barcelona supercomputer center, an account cannot be made on the Marenostrum (that's the supercomputer where I would like to run 3DNA for on flight analysis of MD trajectories). Support at Marenostrum have told me that they could compile it and erase the source code signing the necessary papers to ensure this would be done.

I understand your policies and also theirs and I understand that probably we'll have to wait a bit longer until this machines are more easily available.

Thank you,
Alberto

Created and maintained by Dr. Xiang-Jun Lu [律祥俊] (xiangjun@x3dna.org)
The Bussemaker Laboratory at the Department of Biological Sciences, Columbia University.