Netiquette · Download · News · Gallery · Homepage · DSSR Manual · G-quadruplexes · DSSR-Jmol · DSSR-PyMOL · DSSR Licensing · Video Overview· RNA Covers

Author Topic: 3DNA installation problems on Mac OS X  (Read 10030 times)

Offline Nozhat

• with-posts
    • View Profile
3DNA installation problems on Mac OS X
« on: April 17, 2013, 01:29:40 pm »
Hi,

I have been trying to install X3DNA on Mac 10.8, following these instructions. I tried the zsh and csh shells but I can't get it installed. I mean when I type:

find_pair -h

I get:

command not found
Is there anything else that's not mentioned here?

Nozhat

Offline Nozhat

• with-posts
    • View Profile
Re: 3DNA installation problems on Mac OS X
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 01:34:33 pm »
Never mind! I fixed it.

:P

Offline xiangjun

• Administrator
  • with-posts
    • View Profile
    • 3DNA homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 04:40:38 pm »
Glad to hear that you've fixed the installation problems. Could you share what went wrong, and how you solved the issues? Some instructions are likely to be unclear in the post "How to install 3DNA on Linux and Windows?" that need to be improved.

Thanks for using 3DNA and posting on the forum.

Xiang-Jun

Offline baukealbada

• with-posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:51:12 am »
Hi,

I would love to use your software, since I think it will answer quite some questions that I have related to my DNA work.
However, the lingo that is used to describe how to install the software is one I don't understand (I got lost in the terminal part). I know, my mistake. I should have paid more attention during the computer programming classes I never took. It's frustrating to be able to make molecules that never existed, but not to be able to run a program.
Are you working on a straightforward download-unpack-install-play kind of software that a person like me could use (or is this the case for windows, and thus, do I have to install it on a windows machine)? Or is there an online portal where I can give my DNA sequence and it generates calculated suggestions for possible 3D structures? I found them for RNA, but those results are hardly 1-to-1 transferrable to DNA.

Hope you can help me out.

Many thanks,
bauke

Offline xiangjun

• Administrator
  • with-posts
    • View Profile
    • 3DNA homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 08:11:52 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for your interest in using 3DNA. I understand the frustrations you experienced, and thought that you may find the web-interface to 3DNA (http://w3dna.rutgers.edu) helpful. Or you could join the SBGrid Consortium (https://www.sbgrid.org) where you have access to many software packages in structural biology.

Note also that 3DNA does not perform DNA structure predictions. NAB from the Case laboratory at Rutgers have more features for building nucleic acid structures.

Xiang-Jun
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:14:13 pm by xiangjun »

Offline baukealbada

• with-posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 05:55:38 am »
Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply. I highly appreciate it. Good luck with the terrific job you are doing.

Best wishes,
Bauke

Created and maintained by Dr. Xiang-Jun Lu [律祥俊] (xiangjun@x3dna.org)
The Bussemaker Laboratory at the Department of Biological Sciences, Columbia University.