Netiquette · Download · News · Gallery · Homepage · DSSR Manual · G-quadruplexes · DSSR-Jmol · DSSR-PyMOL · DSSR Licensing · Video Overview· RNA Covers

Author Topic: problems downloading 3dna  (Read 6605 times)

Offline cbiertue

• with-posts
    • View Profile
problems downloading 3dna
« on: February 01, 2019, 08:53:13 am »

Dear Xiangjun,

I have problems downloading 3dna. After logging into the forum and pressing the correct link for my operating system I get: permission denied. Is there something I can do? I am behind a firewall and our IT department uses a proxy setup. Can it be related to that?

Best,
christian

Offline xiangjun

• Administrator
  • with-posts
    • View Profile
    • 3DNA homepage
Re: problems downloading 3dna
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 11:29:31 am »
Hi christian,

I am sorry to hear the trouble you have in downloading 3DNA. Such a problem was not reported previously, so I am wondering how you download the software.

Specifically, did you log into the Forum, click the "Download" ---> "3DNA download", and then the download links within the page?

Xiang-Jun

Offline cbiertue

• with-posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 11:35:11 am »

Hi Xiang-Jun,

Yes, I did...using Firefox under OSX. I have many things open at the moment and so, I have not tried to close my browser and reopen it. I only switch off my ad blocker

The link inside your forum page was:
http://x3dna.bio.columbia.edu/downloads/v2.4/x3dna-v2.4-macosx-intel.tar.gz

and the error message is:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /downloads/v2.4/x3dna-v2.4-macosx-intel.tar.gz on this server.
Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) Server at x3dna.bio.columbia.edu Port 80

Best,
christian

Offline xiangjun

• Administrator
  • with-posts
    • View Profile
    • 3DNA homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 11:56:06 am »
Hi christian,

Thanks for your follow-up. I cannot figure out where the problem could be, other than due to the firewall of your IT department. From the log, I notice that you are not following the link from the download page.

Could you please provide a screenshot of what you did? Such info would be helpful to other users in the future.

Could also try to download 3DNA from your home or public wifi network, and let me know how it goes?

Xiang-Jun

Offline cbiertue

• with-posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 12:07:41 pm »

Hi Xiang-Jun,

I am not sure if the attached screenshots will help but I will let you know if I can download from home...

Best,
christian

Offline xiangjun

• Administrator
  • with-posts
    • View Profile
    • 3DNA homepage
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 12:21:36 pm »
Hi christian,

Thanks for your screenshots. Following your report, I've tried a couple of times using Chrome and Safari to download 3DNA, without a problem. When I checked the logs of the server, I noticed many recent successful downloads from other (new) users. An example is as below:

[01/Feb/2019:11:17:44 -0500] "GET /downloads/dssr/linux-64bit/x3dna-dssr HTTP/1.1" 200 1178978 "http://forum.x3dna.org/downloads/3dna-download/" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:62.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/62.0"

Yours is like this:

[01/Feb/2019:11:31:26 -0500] "GET /downloads/v2.4/x3dna-v2.4-macosx-intel.tar.gz HTTP/1.0" 403 550 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0"

It is very likely the issue is due to the firewall.

Xiang-Jun

Offline cbiertue

• with-posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 10:20:46 am »

Dear Xiang-Jun,

I confirmed that my download problems were due to our firewall/proxy set up. I could download 3DNA without trouble from home.

Best,
christian

Offline xiangjun

• Administrator
  • with-posts
    • View Profile
    • 3DNA homepage
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 11:26:41 am »
Dear Christian,

Thank you so much for your update. It is nice to have such information for other users with a similar problem.

I also researched the issue. If it occurs often, I may consider changing the download settings. As noted above, your reported case is the first one I am aware of.

Best regards,

Xiang-Jun
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 11:51:27 am by xiangjun »

Created and maintained by Dr. Xiang-Jun Lu [律祥俊] (xiangjun@x3dna.org)
The Bussemaker Laboratory at the Department of Biological Sciences, Columbia University.