Netiquette · Download · News · Gallery · Homepage · DSSR Manual · G-quadruplexes · DSSR-Jmol · DSSR-PyMOL · DSSR Licensing · Video Overview· RNA Covers

Author Topic: build dna bulge via 3dna?  (Read 8061 times)

Offline Randy Bin Lin

• with-posts
    • View Profile
build dna bulge via 3dna?
« on: May 30, 2012, 08:19:06 pm »
I have been trying to build a DNA duplex with bulges with -1, -2 up to -3 deletion, such as in PDB 1AX6 (-2 deletion). I searched online, there is no protocol detailing how to build them in silico with desired DNA sequence. 3DNA and NAB are the two nucleic acid manipulation tool I have been using. but it is not obvious how to do it in both of them. Any advices on that? thanks!

Offline xiangjun

• Administrator
  • with-posts
    • View Profile
    • 3DNA homepage
Re: build dna bulge via 3dna?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 10:35:53 am »
Thanks for using 3DNA. As to your question "to build a DNA duplex with bulges with -1, -2 up to -3 deletion, such as in PDB 1AX6 (-2 deletion)", I do not think 3DNA can do the magic automatically in a general sense -- there are so many possible variabilities to introduce bulges with -1, -2 or -3 deletions. Nevertheless, some components of 3DNA can help to some extent in the modeling process:
  • Starting from a known structure, e.g. 1ax6, you can use "mutate_bases" to change the bases to your desired DNA sequence while preserving the backbone conformation and base orientation.
  • By using "find_pair -s your.pdb stdout | analyze stdin", (manually) editing the generated file "bp_step.par" and then running "rebuild -atomic", you can build any DNA structure with your prescribed sequence and step parameters, but only approximate sugar-phosphate backbone.
HTH,

Xiang-Jun

Offline Randy Bin Lin

• with-posts
    • View Profile
Re: build dna bulge via 3dna?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 02:00:39 pm »
xiangjun, thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely give it a try. I will let you know how it goes.

Randy Bin Lin

Created and maintained by Dr. Xiang-Jun Lu [律祥俊] (xiangjun@x3dna.org)
The Bussemaker Laboratory at the Department of Biological Sciences, Columbia University.